On a recent trip to the beautiful Maldives I had the pleasure of meeting the delightful chef Memo who looked after me so very well with the most divine nutrient dense meals. The Reethi Rah resort certainly caters to the healthy traveller who does not want to completely derail their lifestyle while on holidays. The resort now has a beautiful restaurant ‘Botanica’ which is organic and a lot of the menu items are grown within the grounds of the restaurant. They have also included a superfoods breakfast bar in the last 12 months due to the increasing demands of travellers wanting healthy options. I left Chef Memo in charge of my diet for the duration of my stay and was so impressed with his delicious and nutritious creations. I recently spoke to Chef Memo and he has kindly created a beautiful protein packed quinoa salad for me to share on my website! I made it last week and it is truly divine! Thanks Memo!
1/2 cup black quinoa
1/2 cup white quinoa
1/2 cup kaniwa
2 big carrots
1 big Cucumber
1 tbs Pure honey
1 large avocado
1 medium size beetroot
2 tbs 0% fat greek yoghurt
Handful of rocket leaves
Handfu of Pomegranate seeds
1. Soak both quinoa and kaniwa separately for 48 to 72 in room temperature water. Change water every 24 hrs. Strain once is soft enough. Reserve in the fridge
2. Peel the carrot and slice it. Boil it until soft. Same procedure with the beetroot. Pure both together in a blender until soft and homogenous. If too dry, previous boiling water can be used. Let it rest. Keep sealed in the fridge until cold.
3. Peel and seed the cucumber. Chop it in small cubes. Reserve
4. Peel avocado. Remove the seed. Chop only half in small cubes. The other half should be mashed.
5. In a wooden bowl mix in the mashed avocado, pure honey, yoghurt and carrot-beetroot pure. Mix well.
6. Add both quinoa and kaniwa. Mix well.
7. Top with avocado cubes, rocket leaves and pomegranate seeds